Thursday, June 12, 2014

Jen's Blueberry Pie

Well, this is my first attempt at a blueberry pie. This is not an old family recipe, it is one that I created by taking bits and pieces of different recipes that I found with a little of my own ingenuity mixed in. I must say, I think that it turned out pretty excellent!

Now, I know that the first time you make something you should follow the recipe you find, but I have never really been one to follow the rules when it comes to baking. I'm always thinking what could I do different. Sometimes it turns out to be a good thing, as was the case with my experimental blueberry pie! 


-Jennifer Figgins
daughter of Jesse Figgins and Mary Bryan

Jen's Blueberry Pie

Ingredients:
6 cups of blueberries (3 large pints)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar (give or take)
A pinch brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/8 tsp salt
unbaked single-crust pastry for pie

Crumb Topping:
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour plus a little
A pinch of cinnamon
1 1/2 stick cold butter
1/2 cup almond slivers

Place baking sheet in oven and pre-heat to 425 degrees. 

Wash and air dry blueberries.

Combine the blue berries with the rest of the filling ingredients. 

With a food processor combine the crumb topping ingredients until small crumbs have formed. 

Pour the berry mixture into the unbaked pie shell. 

Distribute the mixture, heaping it toward the center. 

Evenly coat the top of the berries with crumbs. 

Loosely cover the entire pie with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes at 425 degrees, then remove the foil and bake until the crumbs turn golden brown.

*Note: For a less runny pie add 1-2 tablespoons of powdered instant tapioca to the pie filling.


1 comment: