Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Jewell King's Johnny Cake

I know that there are millions of recipes for cornbread but I love Grandma Joy's the best. (I guess technically the recipe is from one of my Grandma's neighbors but who is counting!) 

I, however, might be a little biased on this one. If you start life eating this as your first cornbread it will ruin you for all others. I can't say that there is anything I would ever want to change. It's so good!

-Jennifer Figgins
daughter of Jesse Figgins and Mary Bryan

Jewell King's Johnny Cake
Joy Miller's handwriting. Jewell King's recipe.

Ingredients: 
2 T butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup sifted flour
1 cup yellow corn meal
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Cream the butter and sugar together.

Add the egg and beat well.

Sift together the flour, corn meal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk to the butter mixture.

Pour into a shallow 8"x8" pan.

Bake at 400-425 degrees for 30 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment